Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Baking Therapy

While some people turn to shopping, alcohol or exercise to relieve stress, I turn to my kitchen.  I find cooking, especially baking, to be very therapeutic when I'm stressed.  There's something about making various ingredients come together into a delicious dish that is just so satisfying. And I love to eat, so it results in a second benefit.



My 2nd week of work was a bit more stressful than the first.  It started off mundane enough with 2 days of computer modules (see previous post) and another day of classroom training.  After 3 days of working 8-5 and sitting in pretty terrible traffic each day I was exhausted.  I know it sounds pathetic, but my body is having a hard time going from sleeping til 8 or so each day to waking up at 5 or 5:30 and being functional until getting home around 6pm.


After three days of sitting on my bum doing various training activities I was looking forward to two clinical shifts.  Thursday went pretty smoothly but it wasn't terribly busy and all our patients were pretty straightforward.  Friday started off well but got a little too crazy for me at one point.  I ended up picking up two complicated kids and needed a lot of assistance from various persons including nurses, the chief resident and my attending.  Their care was never sub-par, it was more the administrative stuff like the ten different things that have to be done before a patient can be admitted.  Also dealing with consults was a bit difficult.  I felt totally lost and confused multiple times.  Anyhow, I survived, but it was a little much for me.  I'm glad that shift was followed by a weekend off.



This morning I decided the perfect way to decompress after my crazy and confusing shift was to bake up something yummy.  I had seen this Chocolate Banana Cake several weeks back and knew I needed to try it.  I had some browning bananas sitting on the counter and buttermilk in the fridge so it was the perfect day to make it.



In case you were wondering it turned out beautifully.  It has a rich chocolate flavor thanks to cocoa powder and chocolate chips with a mellow banana flavor peeking through.  Perfect with a glass of milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment