Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

And the tables have turned

As you may recall, when I interviewed for my current position, I was interviewed by a panel of all the PAs and Nurse Practitioners working in the Emergency Department.  It was super overwhelming, but somewhat social at the same time.  They went around the table, each asking one or two questions of me off a list of prepared questions.  But I also had the chance to ask them questions and felt like I really got a feel for the team and if I could work with these women.  It was a long and stressful day that included not only that group interview but also interviews with 3 separate physicians, the mid-level manager of the NICU and the HR manager.  I was exhausted but when all was said and done, I was rewarded with my dream job.

I say all this because today I got to experience the interview process from the other side of the table.  We interviewed two candidates for positions with our team.  It was quite the experience to be the interviewer rather than the interviewee (is that even a word?).  I felt kinda like an impostor.  Who am I to determine if this person is a good fit when I haven't even received my first paycheck yet?  

Despite my insecurity about my lack of experience and decision-making powers, I enjoyed being a part of the interviews.  My interviews were recent enough that it still feels like yesterday when I was the one sweating it out and giggling nervously.  I felt some sympathy for the candidates, but at the same time, I think I may have been a little harder on them than others.  

Today was just another reminder of my change of roles.  I'm no longer a student or a job seeker.  I'm a professional...ha!  Okay, that might be a stretch.  But I am employed, have a PA-C after my name, and as of Monday have a full license to practice in the state.  Still getting used to this growing up thing.  I think getting my first paycheck tomorrow will make the transition that much better :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment