Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Harry Potter, Mickey Mouse and Palm Trees

Like I said in my previous post, our first part of vacation included Universal Orlando, Walt Disney World and just some poolside relaxation.  Our first day we scoped out the resort grounds, caught a motion picture show and relaxed.

Poolside

The next day I got up bright and early, headed for the gym and after breakfast, Corey and I headed off for Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando.  I'm going to be honest, the only reason we paid admission for the park was to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  Yep, I'm a Harry Potter fan and proud of it.  So, that was our first destination in the park.  We LOVED it!  We may have ridden those rides a couple times.  We also hit up Jurassic Park, a water ride and strolled through Suess-land.  It was a great day.
Hogwarts! (Great ride!)

Hog's Breath Saloon


Post water ride - we got SOAKED!
 The next day we set off for Walt Disney World.  We made the last minute decision to get a park-hopper ticket allowing us to travel between their 4 theme parks.  Our day started in the Magic Kingdom.  I had no idea how similar it was to Disneyland.  Growing up, we had annual passes to D-land so we went pretty often.  I sorta felt like I was back home.  We did the major rides like Space Mountain (rode it 3 times in fact), Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Pirates of the Caribbean, Teacups, Peter Pan, and many more.  We also strolled down Main Street, caught the end of a parade and did a little shopping.



The view down mainstreet





Since we got lucky and had virtually no lines for any rides (longest we waited was 10 minutes for anything) we did and saw everything we wanted late afternoon.  We then headed over to Epcot to checkout it's multicultural offerings.  We enjoyed Margaritas in Mexico, strolled through China and Norway, grabbed a pretzel in Germany and watched traditional drummers in Japan and more.  It was so much fun and I really wish we had more time to spend there.  We ran out of time for any rides or shows.

Margaritas in Mexico

Japanese drummers



Tired but still smiling
Our last day in Orlando was spent at the resort.  After working out, we had some pool time then played tennis.  Mind you, I've never been good at tennis.  Actually I've always been pretty awful at it.  But I thought it would be a fun afternoon activity.  It was pretty fun despite the fact that both of us were pretty terrible.  I even managed to hit the ball completely out of the gated court and into muddy marshlands, twice.  Oops!

The next morning we packed up and headed to the airport to pick up a couple of our cruisemates then drove to Port Canaveral to board the ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment