Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Dirty Little Secret

If you are easily grossed out, please don't read.  If you will judge me based on the following, please don't read.  Okay, here's the post:

Last night as I was putting away dinner's leftovers (delicious pork tenderloin, potatoes and green beans...yum) I noticed the fridge was quite full.  I had done some grocery shopping that day, but didn't buy that much stuff!  And we haven't had many leftovers recently because I've been working the late shift.  So what was all this filling up my fridge?  Here's the gross part - old leftovers.  And when I say old I mean some go back to Thanksgiving - eeewwww, yuck, nasty!

So here's my dirty little secret:  I hate throwing away leftovers and cleaning out my fridge.  I would much rather let them sit there and grow out funky organisms and multi-colored mold.  I know... this is bad, right?  I feel like I should be more worried about cleanliness and hygiene, especially given my career choice.  However, I can't bring myself to open a tupperware container that's been in the fridge longer than a week.  It just freaks me out!

How does the fridge get cleaned out then, you may wonder.  Well, often I complain enough until my wonderful husband takes it upon himself to purge the icebox (I like that term for a fridge - makes it sound so much more sophisticated).  However, although we've been talking since last night about the need for a deep clean, he hasn't once offered to take care of it.

Tonight while I was cleaning up after dinner I decided I would bite the bullet and clean it out myself.  And I did.  Well, mostly.  Ran out of room in the dishwasher so there are a few stragglers left behind.    However, thankfully, the food wasn't as nasty as I expected!  The stuff from thanksgiving was in surprisingly good shape (by that I mean it was still recognizable).  I didn't get any whiffs of offensive odors  and didn't get the urge to vomit so I'll consider that a success!  Next time though I'll leave it to my better half.

So, there's my dirty secret.  Hopefully you don't think less of me now... Although I have a feeling I'm not alone in this...

2 comments:

  1. You are NOT alone! It actually makes me think more of you! You are human!
    This post wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be! I thought it was gonna be some nasty ER talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're the same way. Colin has actually thrown out the food, then thrown the container outside to "air it out" which usually means after about I'll go and retrieve it and see if we can get it clean.

    ReplyDelete