Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

My mind is blank

So lately I've been trying to think of something exciting and interesting to blog about...as you can probably tell from my lack of posting, not much has come up in my brain. Despite my lack of posting, life has been pretty busy as of late. I'm still on my surgery rotation - some days I love it, other days I can't wait for the end of my shift. I really like that they let me do so much - like suturing on almost every case and I'm seeing tons of great anatomy. But I'm also tired of assisting on total joint replacements for the 20th time in the last 6 weeks. I did get to watch a craniotomy and brain tumor resection this past week which was pretty cool. I forgot how long neurosurgery cases can last! I'm hoping this week to observe a coronary artery bypass graft (heart bypass surgery) and possibly take trauma call with one of the PA's. Who knows - maybe I'll get to see a really cool case that I wouldn't have otherwise seen.

Just about 2 weeks ago I found out I was assigned to travel to West Virginia for my 2 month outpatient rotation to start the first week of March. This wouldn't be so upsetting to me, except for the fact that I am scheduled to do my 2 month inpatient rotation 2 hours away from home immediately following. My advisor is "working" on getting me a rotation in town so I don't have to be away from Corey and Lacey for 4 months straight, but I haven't heard anything from her recently, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I've come to terms with the fact that I may have to be gone for quite some time. I know I will make the best of whatever site I end up rotating through, but would definitely prefer to see my husband on a regular basis :)

On other good news, I was able to set up my final preceptorship in TX which means I'll be back there in July rather than August - hooray! Corey has been in contact with some managers from his previous job and is trying to set up interviews for his ideal position. Unfortunately there are no positions open at this time and they don't know when they will hire any new people. He is okay with taking another position if one opens up in other departments, though, so he's keeping his options open.

I've started looking ahead to getting a job and taking my certifying exams. Although it's pretty far off, I have a feeling it will sneak up on me. It's been pretty stressful for me, so I think I'm going to take some time away from looking for jobs and try to focus on deciding what it is I really want to do when I graduate. I've had a lot of questions about this and its really hard to decide what I like best. I really really enjoyed peds and think I want to work in a pediatric specialty, but what that specialty would be - I don't know. I do like surgery, but some of the environment in surgery can be pretty frustrating. I like (and have some experience in) ER, but haven't worked much with children in an ER setting. I haven't yet done inpatient medicine, but think it might be something I'd like - who knows. I've also heard getting jobs in peds right out of school can be tough, so that adds more stress to my decision-making process. But all this reminds me of one of the great things about the PA profession - whatever I decide to do as my first job doesn't have to be my career. There is a flexibility in the PA world that allows us to change specialties with relative ease.

Oh and we got absolutely dumped on by a huge snowstorm this weekend! We got about 27" in our neighborhood while other cities nearby got up to 34"! It's crazy! This morning I went out to shovel my car out of its snowy parking spot and it took me 1.5 exhausting hours. Corey's car is going to have to wait (he's been sick all day with a stomach bug, so its up to me to do the heavy labor around here). And to top it all off, there is another storm headed our direction which is supposed to dump multiple more inches on us Tuesday night through Wednesday morning. It's kinda cool to be living here at time with all this record snowfall, but its hard when we are not well equipped! We don't own snow gear (other than a ski jacket I have from many years ago) like shovels, waterproof gloves, good boots/shoes. Luckily we have great neighbors who are more than happy to lend us their snow shovels! I've made a decision after all the cleanup this morning -- if we ever live in an environment that gets more than a few inches of snow a year, we are buying a snowblower, period.

Okay, so maybe my mind wasn't all that blank after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment