Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

I've gotten lazy

Yes, I've been incredibly lazy when it comes to updating this thing...its just that every time I sit down to write, I go blank, despite the many things I have to share. Well here goes.

First things first - my mom is done with all her treatments! She's been through surgery, lots of blood work and x-rays, several rounds of chemo, and a week of radiation treatments twice a day. She spent countless hours in various doctor's offices over the last 6 months. All to kick the breast cancer and make sure it never comes back. Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement for her and our family.

This year's Valentine's Day with Corey was exceptional! He decided he wanted to have Valentine's day on Friday instead of Sunday because I wouldn't be home during the day and he could work his magic. So, long story short, I get a couple phone calls while I'm running errands on Friday asking me where various food products could be found in our house. If you know Corey at all you know he's not a top notch chef...he can make pasta and rice, and that's about it. I get a little curious and worried after his questions because I'm wondering what it is he's trying to make. Well, I get home to find the apartment practically spotless (score!), purple and white tulips on the table (double score!) and Corey standing in the kitchen with 4 chicken breasts pounded flat, a bowl full of flour, bowl of eggs and bowl of bread crumbs. He also has a pan with oil sitting on the stove. Turns out he was ready to cook up some chicken parmigiana using a recipe he found on foodnetwork.com but got nervous so he decided to wait til I got home. We cooked it together and it turned out fantastic. It was my first time frying anything and it was pretty easy! We never cook together, and we had a blast. After dinner we went to see Valentine's Day (the movie) which was pretty cute. It was such a simple night, but it was one of the best nights we've had together.

On Sunday he had flowers, chocolates and a teddy bear delivered to our door. I sent him on a scavenger hunt around the apartment for his V-day gifts and made some dinner. It was such a fantastic weekend!

This week I finished my surgery rotation. It was extremely interesting, a lot of fun and an overall positive experience. Sometimes the drama around the staff could get to be a bit much, but I was able to avoid it for the most part. I got to see a ton of different surgeries, from colon resections to lung lobectomies to fracture fixations (pins and screws) and much much more. They also let me do a ton of suturing so I got lots of practice! I liked it much more than I ever thought I would...possibly enough to do it as a job. They actually offered me a position, and asked for Corey's phone number so they could convince him that we should stay in the area after I graduate. I told them that it wasn't going to happen, but it was extremely flattering to be courted like that. I did tell them that I would be okay with giving me contacts in TX, but they didn't have any. Oh well.

Now I'm onto outpatient medicine for the next 8 weeks. I'll be working at a community clinic in MD that takes mostly patients without insurance. It should be an interesting experience because this isn't a patient population I'm used to. After that its inpatient medicine for 8 weeks, 2 weeks of didactic stuff on campus and 4 weeks in my Final Clinical Preceptorship. Before you know it I'll be done and graduating! I can't believe its so close! Now I just have to decide what I want to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment