Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Prozac makes the world go 'round...

Well, much to update on since the last post!

I've started my psychiatry rotation at an inpatient adolescent unit - needless to say I see lots of interesting stuff ranging from the first onset of schizophrenia to depression. I've also seen suicidality, anxiety, eating disorders and psychosis. Some of it breaks my heart to see, other stuff is just plain interesting. Being that adolescent inpatient psychiatry is a relatively small area, I will refrain from telling specific stories in the interest of patient privacy, but I'll definitely share my insights and experience as much as I can. The fellow on the unit is absolutely wonderful and the resident is great. My resident is the most passionate person I've met in a long time - he is fascinated by every single patient we see and absolutely loves teaching. Sometimes he's a bit over the top, but it makes work that much more enjoyable for all of us. In an "It's a Small World" incident we realized he went to college with my cousin at Brown and actually knows her. Crazy stuff! So far, the most important thing I've learned with this rotation is how normal my life has been up to this point. I have so much to be grateful for, but most of all I'm so lucky to have such wonderful parents who raised me in a caring, loving, and supportive environment.

For Labor Day weekend, Corey, Lacey and I drove down to SC to visit Crystal (my sister) and her family. She has a new dog so Lacey had a playmate for the weekend. Unfortunately they fought a decent amount of the time, but when they were playing they seemed to be having fun. Strange how animals can be. Lacey exhausted herself though because she slept the entire car trip home and has been asleep since we got home. Corey and I just spent time with my sister, her husband and their two kids. They have one more on the way, due in early January, so we spent some time at Target buying baby stuff - lots of fun! It's nice having family close enough for us to drive down for a weekend. While we were down there we visited Corey's cousin Adam who lives nearby. It turned out that his other cousin was down there visiting as well as Adam's girlfriend. We had a nice brunch with them on Sunday. It was great to get out of town for the weekend and visit with family, but it definitely made us miss Texas even more!

This next week is going to be extremely busy. Dianna (my college roomate) and Amy (my college friend) are coming into town on Thursday to go to the TCU football game! Friday is my birthday and Saturday is the game. Should be lots of fun!

On a more somber note, my family could use some prayer and positive thoughts. Without going into details, there are some health issues affecting one of my family members which will result in surgery at the end of the month. I would really appreciate it if you could keep my whole family in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment